This billionaire is suing Russia for $ 20 billion for damages to Mariupol



The richest man in Ukraine, Rinat Akhmetov, plans to sue Russia for nearly $ 20 billion for losses caused by the bombing of the steel mills in Mariupol.

Illich Steel and Iron Works, also owned by Akhmetov, was badly damaged during the Russian bombing of Mariupol.

The siege of Mariupol

Mariupol was reduced to a wasteland after weeks of siege and air strikes, with soldiers and civilians seeking refuge in underground bunkers beneath the bombed Azovstal steel mill.

Shelter seekers told the media that there is no work, food or water in Mariupol and that the electricity had been cut since the beginning of March.

LOOK: $ 20 billion in damages

Russia has since committed to rebuilding the southeastern coastal city and turning it into a seaside resort, however, reporters on a recent trip have been kept away from Azovstal plans.

While the fighting has subsided, the plant remains a symbol of fierce Ukrainian resistance.

NOW WATCH: ‘Civilization does not survive’ Putin’s third world war

Rinat Akhmetov Mariupol Russia
of Ukraine the richest man, Rinat Akhmetov, says he will sue Russia for billions of dollars after its steel mills are bombed. Photo: AFP / Alexander Khudoteply

Russia cancels school holidays

Meanwhile, a Ukrainian official said Russian troops occupying the coastal city canceled the summer school holidays to prepare pupils for switching to a Russian curriculum.

“The occupiers have announced the extension of the school year until September 1,” city official Petro Andryushchenko wrote on social media.