With Afghanistan scripting history by clinching ICC Champions Trophy spot and Sri Lanka knocked out, 3 teams are still in the race to seal 2 remaining spots.
For the bottom-dwellers in ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, the tournament may be over for them but there is a lot more at stake. Barring Pakistan Cricket Team, who are the hosts of ICC Champions Trophy 2025, 7 other teams will have to qualify for the mega event. While five teams have already sealed their spots apart from Pakistan, two more slots are still up for grabs. England, Netherlands, and Bangladesh are still in the race to seal the remaining two spots.
India, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Afghanistan have qualified for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025 having secured a Top 8 finish in Cricket World Cup.
ICT Qualified Teams
- Pakistan (Host): As the host, Pakistan are not in the race to qualify for ICT 2025.
- India: Having secured a top-place finish in the Cricket World Cup league stage, India are assured of ICT berth.
- South Africa: The Proteas have sealed a Top-2 finish and therefore have sealed an ICT berth.
- Australia: The five-time world champions have confirmed a Top 3 finish. Hence, they are through to ICT 2025.
- New Zealand: With a win against Sri Lanka, New Zealand have confirmed a berth in ICC Champions Trophy 2025.
- Afghanistan: Even though Afghanistan are virtually knocked out of Cricket World Cup semifinals race, they have made history. For the first time since the birth of the tournament, Afghanistan have qualified for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025.
ICC Champions Trophy 2025 Qualification Scenarios
- England: The reigning world champions have endured a poor run of form in 2023 WC. While they are knocked out of the semifinals race, with a win over Netherlands, England have kept their hopes alive for a Top 8 finish. With four points, England are 7th at the moment. But they have to win against Pakistan to be in Top 8. If England lose to Pakistan and Bangladesh beat Australia, Jos Buttler & Co could be in danger of missing out.
- Bangladesh: Placed 8th, Shakib Al Hasan & Co have a simple scenario. To be in the ICC Champions Trophy 2025, they have to beat Australia. If they lose to Australia, Bangladesh have to hope that Netherlands don’t beat India in the last league game.
- Netherlands: Currently 10th in the Points Table, the Netherlands will have to beat India to qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy. A loss will knock them out and help Bangladesh qualify.
- Sri Lanka (Knocked Out): The co-champions of 2002 edition, Sri Lanka have been knocked out after a loss to sub-continental rivals Bangladesh.